Blue Star &
Blue Star / Gold Star Chairman - Kathy Rewerts
The Blue Star Memorial national project continues to be one of the most popular and appreciated projects of garden clubs throughout our nation. Members enthusiastically support it as a way to honor our service men and women, throughout our history, who have sacrificed so much to preserve our freedoms. To learn more, click on the boxes below.
Check out our Blue Star Memorial Facebook page - Blue Star over Illinois!
Gold Star Memorial Markers are available as a large Memorial Marker or By-Way Marker. Gold Star Markers are placed as a tribute to the Gold Star Families whose loved one paid the ultimate price defending the United States of America.
Click below to view highlights of the dedication on June 14, 2023.
Anna Jo Garden Club's
Gold Star Team
The Long Grove- Kildeer Garden Club dedicated its new Blue Star Memorial Marker on May 28 in Buffalo Creek Park in Long-Grove. The marker is beautifully landscaped, and is the 150th Blue Star Memorial Marker to be placed in Illinois. Pictured below left to right: Paula VanSingal, president of Long Grove-Kildeer Garden Club; GCI President Marilyn Kreuger, and District IX Director Barbara Gilblair.
BLUE STARS OVER ILLINOIS
The Garden Clubs of Illinois, Inc. and its member clubs have placed 150 markers since the first two markers were placed along U.S. Route 40 in April 1948. The state refurbished and rededicated a marker at the Ii-74 Farm Land Rest Area.
Sewah Studios has increased the price of markers; large Highway and Memorial Markers are now $1830 and the By-Way Markers have increased to $610. Refurbishing a marker is now $900 and includes round-trip freight shipping. Prices are good through May 1, 2023.
Kathy Rewerts serves as Blue Star Memorial chairman for the Garden Clubs of Illinois. She can be reached for further information at email@example.com or at her mailing address 841 CR700 E. Sullivan, IL 61951-6354.
Check out our Blue Star Facebook page - Blue Stars over Illinois
A marker located in a picnic area on the banks of the Rock River along Route 2 south of Rockford was rededicated on June 14th, Flag Day. The marker was placed in November 1970 during the Vietnam War and was sponsored by the GCI Blue Star Fund. Funds from the Blue Star Fund were used to repaint the marker and purchase a new post. GCI worked with IDOT District 2, Dixon on the project. IDOT planted perennials around the marker and the Rockford Rockford Garden Club members will help maintain them. Pictured below from left: Marilyn Kreuger presents the marker to IDOT Roadside Maintenance Manager Stephanie Dobbs.